Sunday, March 16, 2014

Mormons: The Community of Christ

Hello Everybody!


Hope you are all well. It has been a very hectic week (yes, another one, like 40 hours in the last 2 days hectic) so I did not get a chance to post a pre-service blog, nor did I mention where we were going this week, I am sure the anticipation has been killing you.So this week I can only give you one entry on our choice of denomination this past Sunday, but I'll get to that in a second.

Last week I visited the Mormons in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building for their Sacrament Service. that wasn't all we saw that day however, we  also visited a few of the famous sites in the area such as the Mormon History Museum. I also mentioned that there would be an additional two more entries on the LDS, I'll get to those when I have a spare moment, I have a l ton my plate working two jobs and trying to get my continuing education matters in order. Please know I haven't forgotten about my readers. I plan to write about the other places we visited on that Sunday as well as my own personal take and experience on the Mormon church (which was promised in my first ever entry in this blog), but for today I will cover the most recent adventure visiting ANOTHER Mormon sect, ladies and gentlemen, I introduce to you the Community of Christ!
Formerly known as the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (RLDS), the community of Christ is a more liberal and progressive counterpart to the mainstream Mormon religion known as “the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints”. With the LDS church claiming over 14 million members worldwide as of December 2011 and the Community of Christ reporting only a 250,000 worldwide membership as of 2012

for more info on the Comunity of Christ look here and their own website here !! :D


The Community of Christ has an interesting bit of history behind it. It was the result of a splitting off between groups of original followers of Joseph Smith over who they felt should lead the church. On June 27th 1844, Joseph Smith was killed in Carthage Jail, the sudden loss of their prophet and leader left the followers in a rough situation where they needed to figure out who was to lead the church from that point on.
 It was largely divided between two candidates; Brigham Young, Joseph Smith’s right hand man and second in command, or the progeny of Joseph Smith himself, his son Joseph Smith Jr. who at the time was still a child and couldn’t lead there and then.


So that is just a brief history of the founding of the Church. I have included here a video blog review of the service. When I get time I will finish the written portion, until then please enjoy the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eWFcDlMCmU&feature=youtu.be




No comments:

Post a Comment