Saturday, March 1, 2014

The Unitarian Universalist church of Ogden: What's not to Love?

Hello everyone!

This very late entry will be on my visit to the Unitarian Universalist Church of Ogden, to know more about them check out their website. I am just going to say this right now, if I were to sign on to any church, it would be this one hands down! However, it is early yet in my journey, but this service is going to be a tough one to beat. I give this Church a perfect 10 candles across the board. There was not a single thing to pick at. Everything was just fantastic, the music, the people, the energy, the message, everything was impeccable. I felt welcome and loved, I a total stranger, visiting for the first time was welcomed as though I had been a member for years, they stand on the side of love. Without further ado, let's hit the breakdown.


ATMOSPHERE: 10/10 candles

I loved the atmosphere, the interior of the building had a sort of mountain lodge feel to it with natural wood grain finish and a large open chapel area adorned with various symbols of numerous creeds. This was indeed an all inclusive church. I saw Wicca, Jewish, Christian, and other representative symbols of different faiths on banners that lined the long hall on the outer walls adjacent to the cozy pews. In the front was a stage area with a few symbolic items. Above the pulpit there was another large banner with the symbol of the church, a flaming chalice. You could tell that they stand by their motto “Standing on the side of love”.
There was a singing bowl similar to what one might find in a Buddhist temple and then what really wowed me was what looked like a fish bowl filled just over half way with clear water. This was rich in symbolism that must be unique to the UU Church. The bowl was filled with water gathered by the members from different places that were of some sort of personal relevance to their lives. One in particular that caught my attention was a woman was mentioned to have brought some water from Loch Ness to contribute to the jar, it was from her home I would assume, more amazing still is how in the world she managed to bring that back into the states! This is symbolic of coming together and unity. The bowl was situated on a dish filled with sand and many polished rocks dappled therein. During the service, the congregation would rise and line the walls, making their way to the bowl to take a rock, say a prayer for someone they loved, to ask for strength to get through a trial, or to make it through hard times and symbolically place the rock in the bowl of water. I found this to be fascinating.



SERVICE: 10/10 candles
Much of the service is already outlined in the atmosphere and message sections so I need not reiterate here too much. The service was very open and laid back, lively and very positive. We opened with a music video projected onto the screen in the front of the room (see message section for link). The minister, Reverend Theresa Novak was very nice; she is also an openly gay activist for human rights and has been very influential here in Utah. I have only the highest and sincerest respect for her. In fact after the sermon I give her a big hug. I am saddened to hear that she will be returning to California and won’t be ministering at the UUCO, but this is a wonderful group of people and whoever takes up the mantel will surely be a good-hearted leader.

COMMUNITY: 10/10 candles
I don’t think I have ever felt this accepted in my entire life. What a great group of people. I found out that there are many atheists, Jews and members of other creeds that attend this church regularly. It’s like having all of the community and fellowship religion without all of the guilt! (Don’t mean to sound harsh but the ultra conservative Barean Baptists and Pentecostals left a bitter taste in my mouth). After the service was a luncheon with various sweets and tea and coffee, there we were able to meet a few of the people and talk to the Rev about our blog and what we thought of the service. I even saw one of my professors from the university in attendance so I knew I was in good company!


MESSAGE: 10/10 candles
This was the opening song, and I think it summed the message up pretty nicely

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XEOVl875d0

I have to admit that throughout the service I could always feel tears beginning to well up. So so many feels! I really loved hearing all the positivity and the simple message of just being good to one another. I implore EVERYONE to visit this church at least once. Everyone who reads this blog, share this message and pay it forward and on… and on… and on. People need more uplifting messages in their life, they don’t need to hear about how they are inherently sinful, that they owe something to god, to the world, that they are worthless without a savior, that there is no good in the world, that the end times are near; no, people need to live in the here and now and make the most of their life while they have it and to cherish every little moment to the best of their ability and know that they are worth something to someone, that life is for someone, somehow better with them.
Here were the key messages:
1)      Love everybody
2)      Life is better when we share it with the people we love.
3)      “Some days are better than other days, but these days are better with you. WO-oh WO-oh, life is better with you”
4)      No matter your history, criminal record, race, creed, orientation, faith, you are welcome here.
5)      Salvation is universal
6)      Masturbation is okay and natural
7)      Sin is something that causes harm
8)      Love is complicated and there are many forms thereof.
9)      All that matters is that we love one another
These are messages that hit home with me and they elicited within me a very deep resonance. These are things I think most people should be able to live by. Thank you UU for the invigorating boost that I needed!


OVERALL: 10/10 ‘nuff said!
Couldn’t be happier with the choice we made for this particular week! I will want to look into this one again for sure! I will also at some point continue this entry with a video if I can find the time. Again, I think it would be to the benefit for anyone reading this to give these guys a visit!



2 comments:

  1. My name is Beth and I'm reading this as a "lapsed" UU--I think spiritually all the time but go through lazy spells when it comes to attending church services. Reading this really made me happy that you found your local congregation to be worth visiting again and I feel inspired to get to church one last time before I move to where isn't one. Good luck in your survey and journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a UU minister for 39 years, I'm inspired all over again by my own tradition, and glad that you had such an uplifting morning with in Ogden with the UU Church of Ogden. And glad to see your shout out for Teresa Novak.

    ReplyDelete