Sunday, April 20, 2014

Preservice blog: exploring atheism

Hey folks, 

A bit of a twist in the blog this week, I have for the last 3 days been attending the American Atheist conference 2014 in Salt Lake City! 

There is as many of you may know, much stigma around the "A" word. This especially being the case in a highly religious country such as America where the overwhelming majority of the population identifies themselves as Christian. In a 2007 Pew Research study,  78.4% identify as Christian, 4.7% other religion, and 16.1% don't identify with any religion and these are what are known as the nones or the non religious; this includes atheists and agnostics. 

The study can be found here if you want to see the more specific numbers:
http://religions.pewforum.org/reports

I had been planning to attend this event even before I started the blog. This is the first time American Atheists have held a national convention in Utah and this the first one I have ever heard of in Utah, needless to say that this is the first time I have ever been to one so it has been a very interesting experience thus far. 

Hear more about it in the coming days, I  am looking forward to the next entry. Maybe I will make it in parts, I am not sure yet. I will talk about the event itself, the atheist community, myths around atheism and why we are really not that bad bunch o' folks.

Stick around!



No comments:

Post a Comment