Thursday, February 20, 2014

Steeped in history, lit up and smelling of tradition, getting me to the Greek Orthodox Church

Hello again!

Trying to get caught up and up to date here on the 52 paths to truth blog. Two Sundays ago, Chad and I visited the oldest (tied with the Catholic church) denomination of Christianity in the world the Greek Orthodox Church.

 

This church one of the most ornate and beautiful I have ever been in, it rivaled even St. Joseph's as far as the interior went and was very traditional. I even ran into my nice-old-Greek-lady neighbor there so it was nice to see a familiar face!

ATMOSPHERE: 9/10 candles

This place had the whole package all the beauty and incense to stimulate all the senses. The only thing missing was the allure of a decent choir. The chanting got VERY monotonous after a while, that's what cost the perfect ten. I found it very delightful to experience the service in two different languages , English and Greek. I found that there were many words I could understand from my studies in biology, it is wonderful how diciplines can overlap in the most unexpected places!













After the service there was a brunch consisting of high-sugar items including some traditional Greek baked goods in addition to the communion bread (Which is made fresh the night before the service!). This was more than just a church, it was a community and a big fat Greek Family (movie buffs may have caught the pun)!

SERVICE: 4/10 candles

Wait! Please let me explain. It was beautiful, it was interesting, it was new and unlike anything  I have seen or smelled before... BUT it was long repetitive and boring. Would I go again? Yes, sure, maybe, but it would not be for the service, it would be for the post service (see Community).

MESSAGE : 8/10 candles

basically the sermon was very short. Most of the service was caught up in ritual and procedure. I can sum up the sermon in one senctence
"You are not all that, but you are not all bad either"
 I think knowing this makes one humble and in a much more productive way than I have observed in some of the more guilt-prone sects that I have visited.

COMMUNITY: 10/10 candles

Now at first people seemed a little unapproachable, but that is I guess part of the Greek culture, particularly the older generations. Once they get to know you or once you start talking to them they are very friendly and open up quickly. after the service was the brunch where Chad and I got to interact wit hthe congregation. There was a little community center next to the chapel where tables were set up and the aforementioned treats and coffee were served.


After the brunch Chad and I went to a local coffee shop and talked about our latest adventure and planned our next move...



The priest, Father Mario was quite a character and made the rounds during the brunch and talked with us. I learned a few things 1) he really likes scotch 2) he plays golf and will be going on a golf retreat with a few other fathers in the coming months! Really nice guy and the people were warm and welcoming. Chad Had attended this church numerous times and was friends with the daughters of one of the old fathers here so he spent some time reminiscing and talking with the members and filling them in on the developing lives of their old friends and  family.

2 comments:

  1. I am intrigued by this blog you have here. Have you thought of covering the Buddhist temple in Layton?

    ReplyDelete